In 1825, Joseph Parsons set up business as an Auctioneer at 96 North Street Brighton.
This was one of a cluster of small cottages and houses grouped together in that part of the North Street which lay between Western Road and Upper North Street close to St Nicholas Church. All of these buildings were swept away many years ago.
The exact date of establishment of the business is not known and only one slender clue exists. This is provided by the Brighton Herald of 7th February 1925, when, in the regular weekly column advertising properties for sale by Parsons Son & Basley there appeared for the first time the words “Established a Century”. This suggests the foundation of the business in early February 1825.
Throughout its long history its principal office has been in central Brighton. The present offices, 32 Queens Road, have been occupied since 1959. Its Hastings office was established in 1994 and most recently, with the acquisition of Normans Management in 2004, the Bognor office moved to Alma Place.
Nearly 200 years later the firm is still in private ownership.